Wednesday 9 September 2015

Rooney Is Now England’s All-Time Leading Goalscorer


Manchester United striker, Wayne Rooney, has broken Bobby Charlton’s goalscoring record for England, after he scored his 50th goal for his country in the 2-0 win over Switzerland on Tuesday night.
The 29-year-old scored from the penalty spot for the second game running, after Harry Kane had given the Three Lions a second-half lead.
Last weekend, Rooney moved level with Charlton, after he scored in the 6-0 rout against San Marino.
It appeared the opportunity would pass him by at Wembley, until Raheem Sterling was fouled inside the area. Rooney stepped up and smashed his spot-kick.
“It’s a great feeling,” Rooney told ITV after the match.
“A dream come true.”
“I was a bit emotional out there, it’s a huge honour. I’m extremely proud.
“I’m happy it’s done, and want to kick on from here. I want to concentrate on the team and hopefully our success in the future.
“Of course I was more nervous than usual, I knew it was a big moment. I just picked my corner and put my foot through it with as much power as possible to make it hard for the keeper.
“This is right up there, if not the best moment of my career. To be England’s top scorer under the age of 30, I could never have dreamt of it.
“I try to take each game and each year as it comes. I went through a spell around 2008 where I didn’t score a goal for a long time.
“Since Roy has come in I’ve scored a lot of goals. I’m grateful to him for letting me play with freedom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment